Planning a Successful GivingTuesday Campaign
October 5, 2023
GivingTuesday is a global initiative that kicks off the holiday giving season. This year’s event will take place on November 28, 2023.
GivingTuesday emphasizes the importance of supporting your community and charitable causes in various ways, including donating to a nonprofit, advocating for an issue or helping a neighbor.
Importance of GivingTuesday for Nonprofits
GivingTuesday helps nonprofit organizations connect to new donors and broaden their financial support network. Because it occurs after Thanksgiving, the event presents a unique opportunity to encourage people to express their gratitude by giving back. It also helps nonprofits fill their coffers to aid those in need during the holiday season.
Last year’s GivingTuesday generated a record $3.1 billion in gifts in 24 hours, just from the U.S. audience.
Donor retention was key to setting this new record – up 15% from 2021 and up 25% from 2020 – as recurring donors tend to give more than first-time supporters. However, 34% of last year’s donors supported a nonprofit organization for the first time, which means your organization has a great opportunity to appeal to first-time donors during GivingTuesday 2023 and develop recurring support in 2024.
Tips for Your GivingTuesday Campaign
Here are some ideas to help you execute a successful GivingTuesday campaign:
- Create an online fundraising page to accommodate donations efficiently. Ensure that it’s optimized for mobile devices and includes a clear call-to-action. Unlock the expert level by providing an option for a recurring gift.
- Set a fundraising goal for the day, make it known on your website and social channels, and ask your audience to help you achieve it. Provide donation progress reports on your fundraising page and social channels throughout the day.
- Spread the word via email and social media with branded GivingTuesday content to announce your participation, communicate your funding needs, and explain how the donations will be used.
- Use storytelling tools, like videos, to personalize your campaign and increase visibility. Highlight your organization’s best attributes and successful outcomes.
- Invite local media outlets to visit your site on GivingTuesday to interview board members, clients and staff.
- Encourage your current donor base to participate in peer-to-peer fundraising. They can help spread the word to their business partners, family and friends.
- Don’t forget to follow up! Post #ThankYouWednesday content on your social channels and contact all of your GivingTuesday donors via phone, email or direct mail to thank them for their support.
Contact us for assistance with planning and executing your organization’s GivingTuesday campaign.